WEST CENTER CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
101 Pondfield Road West
Bronxville, New York 10708
Tel No. (914) 337-3829
AUGUST 14, 2022 TENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST 11:00 AM
WORSHIP THROUGH PRAISE
PRELUDE: "IN THE GARDEN” (ARR. M. KOERTS)
* RESPONSIVE CALL TO WORSHIP:
Pastor: We are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses;
People: Let us also lay aside all our sins that cling so closely,
Pastor: Let us run the race that is set before us
People: Looking to Jesus the pioneer of our faith,
Pastor: Who for the sake of the joy that was set before him
People: Endured the cross, disregarding its shame.
Pastor: The Lord disciplines those whom he loves;
People: Discipline yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.
* OPENING HYMN: NO. 466 “O FOR A THOUSAND TONGUES TO SING”
UNISON PRAYER OF INVOCATION: Contemporary Collect – pg. 1
UNISON PRAYER OF CONFESSION AND ASSURANCE: We confess to you Almighty God, that we have been rebellious children, straying from your ways and dishonoring your name. We have treasured that which we can merely possess. We have left your work undone and neglected those in need. Have mercy on us. Help us receive your discipline with thanks and to treasure your kingdom above all other things. God forgive our sins, through the precious blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has stripped us of our old clothes and robed us in his righteousness. Thank you God, for adopting us your children. In Jesus name we pray. AMEN.
MOMENT OF SILENT MEDITATION/SELF REFLECTION:
LORD’S PRAYER (“DEBTS”)
* RESPONSIVE READING OF PSALM 80: 1-2, 8 - 18 - pp. 2 & 3 Psalm Refrain: “The Vineyard of the Lord of Hosts is the House of Israel.”
* GLORIA PATRI: Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be;
World without end. AMEN.
WORSHIP THROUGH CARING, PRAYING AND GIVING
MEDITATIONAL HYMN NO. 399 “WE WALK BY FAITH NOT BY SIGHT”
PRAYER OF INTERCESSION AND THANKSGIVING:
CHORAL RESPONSE: “Almighty Father, hear our prayer,
and bless all souls that wait before Thee. AMEN.
SHARING OF OUR GIFTS, TITHES AND OFFERING PRECEDED BY PRAYER
PRAYER OF DEDICATION: O God, we affirm it is your nature to give and to love. We know you have created us in your image. Receive our gifts and multiply their value for the sake of your mission of redeeming your world. Help us to be a blessing in your world. In Jesus’ name we pray. AMEN.
OFFERTORY: "SPIRIT” (J. MANLEY)
* DOXOLOGY AND PRAYER OF GRATITUDE
PASSING OF PEACE, JOYS, CONCERNS, AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
WORSHIP THROUGH REFLECTION AND MEDITATION
FIRST READING: Isaiah 5: 1 - 7, pp. 1 & 2
SOLO: "IN THE GARDEN”
THE GOSPEL WITNESS: St. Luke 12: 49 - 56, pg. 4
PREACHING OF THE WORD: RESTORE US - Rev. Dr. Christopher Ponnuraj
* AFFIRMATION OF FAITH – (APOSTLES’ CREED): I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended to heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. AMEN.
* CLOSING HYMN: NO. 361 “HOW FIRM A FOUNDATION”
* BENEDICTION: (THREE-FOLD AMEN)
RESPONSE: “Farewell, good friends! Farewell good friends! Shalom, shalom!
Till we meet again, till we meet again, shalom, shalom!”
POSTLUDE: "SHALOM CHAVERIM” (ARR. J. CARTER)
*Please stand as you are able and comfortable standing.
In the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ a cordial welcome to those who have come to this house of worship. We thank you for worshiping with us today. Your presence encourages and strengthens us. Guests are invited to sign the guest book in the narthex. We look forward to seeing you again.
Please participate in the Board of World Service School Supply drive for needy students in Yonkers. Check the enclosed list for the items needed. Monetary donations are also welcome; please add School Supplies to the memo line on the check. All donations should be brought to the church by today to allow time for the Salvation Army to distribute. Thank you for whatever you can give!
Our Friendship and Fellowship Coffee Hour will be held in Bodge Lounge. Come and share the joy of Christ’s love with us. Please sign up if you wish to host a Coffee hour.
Ms. Lauren Mitchell (8/03), Victoria Ross-Blumenauer (8/08),
Mr. Jesse Malgieri (08/10), Mr. Youngren Ponnuraj (8/24)
COVENANT OF CARE
Ted St. Angelo, Cindi Barna, Jaimelyn DeFrancesco, Urmila Devi, Courtney Elliott, Arlene Holtum
Ann Jamison, Edie Jamison-Koenig, Charlotte Johnson, Jeanette Johnson,
Scott Johnson, Michael LaRaus, Rick Macerata, Joe Miller, June Nickerson,
Paula Parson, Master Sgt. Timothy Peters, John Polvere,
Louise Quartuccio, Anthony Russo, Edith Unger, Amanda Wilson,
Family & Friends of Jean Royal Ward, sister-in-law of Vynetta Ross and Rev. Allan Ross
Family & Friends of Bill Boyd, husband of a friend of Susie Reisinger
Rev. Dr. Christopher Ponnuraj – Minister
firstname.lastname@example.org (917) 743-1574
Mr. John Strybos- Music Director
email@example.com (203) 921-5210
Jesse Malgieri, Soloist